Moving House Checklist
Don’t forget the teabags!
Moving house can be a very hectic time and it’s easy to forget some of the important things. Here’s a quick checklist of things to remember before you move:
- Book a removal company well in advance and shop around to find the best prices. The British Association of Removers (www.bar.co.uk) lists reputable, professional removal companies in the UK.
- Arrange to have your meters read (or do this yourself) on completion day. Read the meters at your old and new house and contact your suppliers.
- Keep your insurance on the property you are selling until the completion date. This is particularly important if you leave any belongings in the house, even if you move out before completion. You will need to insure the new house from exchange of contracts as it becomes your responsibility at that point.
- Update your TV licence with your new address (Tel: 0844 800 790 or www.tvlicensing.co.uk).
- Notify your local council of your change of address for council tax purposes.
- You must notify the DVLA of your change of address for any car registered at your address as not doing so is an offence (www.gov.uk/dvla-change-address).
- Once you have sold your property cancel any standing order/direct debit for your mortgage on the property. Do not cancel this before completion as it will mean you will still owe money on that property.
- Do not hand your notice in if you are in rented accommodation until your property lawyer tells you to do so.
- Remember to get your mail redirected – www.royalmail.com.
- Pack a box with the things you’ll need to hand as soon as you arrive at your new home. If your cleaning products, toilet paper, and of course, tea bags/coffee are easily accessible it will be much easier to get organised. Just remember not to pack them in the removal van!