Top Tips for Tenants
Use our helpful checklist to avoid a stressful situation with your tenancy:
- Before you sign a Tenancy Agreement, check the contents and condition of the property carefully.
- Read the Tenancy Agreement carefully and take legal advice if there is anything you don’t understand.
- Be aware that there is generally no ‘cooling off’ period once the Tenancy Agreement is signed.
- If you have paid a deposit, make sure that you receive all the information about the deposit scheme from the landlord.
- Pay your rent on time, in accordance with the Tenancy Agreement.
- When you move out, check the condition of the property with the landlord and/or agents.
- If you feel that the landlord has unreasonably deducted money from your deposit, use the arbitration service under the deposit scheme.
- If you receive a summons for possession from the Court, do not ignore it. Seek legal advice immediately.